Friday, June 18, 2010

Prologue

3 months after Luc’s death --July 2008

Veronica "Ronnie" Burrows couldn't believe it had only been three months since her childhood friend Luc Bourdon had passed away. Now that he was gone, she was missing him more than anything in this world she couldn't help but feel more alone than she'd ever been. He had always been there for her but now it was her turn to be there for his longtime sweetheart and Ronnie's best friend Charlene Ward. She and Luc had always been so close to each other that she knew they'd end up together. Now this tragic event that should have never happened took away the one guy that she and Charlene loved. She could vividly remember the days they spent together before he passed away and how his death affected her, her brother, Charlene and the one guy she never thought would be part of her life...Ryan Kessler.

****

April 2008 --1 month before Luc's death

"Hey Ryan, have you seen Ronnie around?" Alex Burrows asked his teammate Ryan Kessler who was busy talking to Luc Bourdon and Kevin Bieska.

"No I haven’t. Why?” Ryan Kessler answered wondering why Alex was asking him where Ronnie was.

"Just wondering," Alex said as he walked away keeping an eye out for Ronnie. He knew that there was some kind of connection between Ronnie and Ryan but, he was still having a hard time figuring them and their feelings out. He saw his sister walking out onto the ice with her camera as she skated in his direction. "Ronnie, where were you?"

"I was in the locker room getting a few things. You need to chill, what’s with the investigation?" Ronnie answered.

"You know I can't chill until I know my baby sister is okay.”

"Well, I am not a baby anymore Alex.” She replied “I am a grown up and it’s about time you realized that."

"I know that but I just want to make sure that you are safe."

"I am safe," she smiled looking over at her childhood best friend Luc Bourdon. "Luc, come over here?"

"Sure," Luc said as he skated over and gave her a quick hug. "How’s my best girl doing?"

"I am doing great”

"So I was wondering. Do you think Ryan has a crush on Ronnie?" Alex asked. Ronnie squealed and punched Alex in the shoulder playfully. "I don't know," Luc shrugged.

"He's been a good friend since college Alex, we are just friends," Ronnie replied calmly knowing that her feelings for Ryan were growing bigger and bigger by the minute. Ryan and Ronnie had known each other since their freshman year at Ohio State when they both met at the teams Christmas party. As Ronnie began to think of her friendship with Ryan, she began to think of the first time she met him.

Winter 2002--Christmas Party @ Ohio State University arena where the Buckeyes play:

Ryan Kessler walked inside the locker room where the Buckeyes were having their annual Christmas party with R.J. Umberger and R.J.'s long time girlfriend Brittany Rodriguez. He walked over to where the other team was as he accidentally hit a young woman. Before she fell down Ryan grabbed onto her quickly and she to face him.

"Thanks," the young woman with light brown curls and hazel eyes replied.

"You're welcome," Ryan said in return, "Sorry about bumping into you."

"That's okay...you jocks have good reflexes," she replied giving him a sly grin.

"Wait...how did you know I played sports," Ryan asked.

"I've lived with one hockey loving brother," she replied. "My name is Ronnie Burrows. Who are you?"

"Oh, okay...nice to meet you, Ronnie. I am Ryan Kessler," Ryan said giving her a smile in return

"Nice to meet you, too," Ronnie replied. "See you later." She walked away looking for her close friend Mia Crosby while letting Ryan think about her and her spunky attitude.

Two months after they met each other, Ryan and Ronnie began dating and getting so close that they thought their love was never going to end. A few months later Ryan was drafted by the Vancouver Canucks and moved to Manitoba to play for their minor league team, while Ronnie transferred to the University of Vancouver and graduated with her degree in music and journalism. She got a job working for the Canucks as their writer and a singer in her spare time. She was working on her first album which was supposed to release in the winter of 2008. She ran into Ryan again as he was a young rookie playing for the Canucks and that's when something tragic happened and she knew Ryan was going to do something she thought he would never do. She remembered the first time they broke up and it was not the easiest thing for Ryan either.

Fall 2004--Training Camp for the Canucks

Ryan went to visit Ronnie when Alex had a team party before training camp started. for the rookies, new players, and old players who were returning for the year. Ryan took Ronnie outside and they quietly sat around waiting for the other to break the awkward silence that would create the never ending relationship wounds. "Ryan, what is it?" Ronnie asked timidly waiting for him to speak.

"We have to break up," Ryan answered her looking anywhere but at her face.

"Why's that? What's going on?" Ronnie asked.

"I just do not want to get hurt again. I was..." Ryan replied.

"You were what, Ryan?"

"I can't answer that for you." He said quietly not wanting to get into it.

"So you want to break up with me without telling me why you want to."

"Yes, because I think it’s the best thing for us right now."

"Maybe for you" She replied dryly, anger dripping from her voice.

"Ronnie, I am sorry."

"Apparently not enough, Ryan, so please get out and don't come back into my life until you can tell me your reason for breaking up with me."

"Fine." Ryan got up as he walked back inside the house, slamming the door and walking out of the house and out of Ronnie's life for what she thought would be ever.

Ronnie never talked to Ryan after the breakup as and they ignored each other like the plague, but now since Ryan was around her feelings for him have started to intensify but, she feared that he would reject her for their past moments. Could she go on with another broken heart from the same man who told her she wasn't enough for him? Her fears were getting in the way of telling Ryan how she really felt and, would he do the same thing by breaking her heart is she going to end up broken and bruised?

No comments:

Post a Comment